Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocate
555 Walnut Street
5th Floor Forum Place
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1923

Phone: 717-783-5048 or toll free 800-684-6560
Fax: 717-783-7152


Alternate Electric Generation Supplier Variable Rate spike

We are currently collecting information from affected parties and examining possible remedies to this situation. In addition to contacting the OCA you may want to consider taking the following action:

  1. Contact the electric generation supplier. Try to negotiate a lower rate and see if they are willing to offer a credit toward the current charges. You may also want to inquire if they have a fixed rate offer available which will offer more stability than a variable rate.

    You may also want to consider switching to another electric generation supplier who offers a more stable fixed rate, or returning to your electric distribution company’s default service for your electric generation service. Please note, it can take one to two billing cycles to change suppliers.
  2. Contact your electric distribution company, especially if you are having difficulty paying the bill. They may be able to make a payment arrangement with you or direct you to other programs for which you may qualify.
  3. Contact the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC) and file a complaint. You can reach the PUC at 1-800-692-7380 or visit their website at
  4. Contact the Office of Attorney General - Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP) and file a complaint. You can reach BCP at 1-800-441-2555 or visit their website at

Important Information if You Are Considering a Variable Rate Offer for Your Electric Generation Service.



Commonwealth Website